Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ancient Christianity in 2010?

Well, let me continue to set my personal pastoral life in context. The local community college shows the diversity. In the 70's Iranians came. My red neck rancher father-in-law was invited to help in their plan to dispose of the Shah by his "blood brother" Muslim friend. Most of them left when he was removed from power but others followed from all over the world. The flags in the student union show the diversity but when they have their spirituality fair so do the book tables fundamentalist Christians, Buddhists and new age groups.

We the people of this wild country want to be free from government and some of us have a dream of a new state, thus the State of Jefferson movement that has roots back to the 1800's, and some are beginning to think of a new nation of mountain folk. But who would pay for our roads, schcols and ah... whatever else the big cities life for?

It is different here but it is also the same thing most Americans are facing. Many people who consider themselves red blood Americans see Jesus as just another religious leader albeit a good one. But there a hope that God is universal and of course angels or something like that. It is a hodge podge spirituality. Some are atheists, agnostics but most people consider themselves spiritual. There are a few churches that are doing well and many that are small and struggling. Spirituality has taken a weird personal and private turn. People who call themselves "Christians" are shopping for a church in the same way they shop for the best big screen HDTV. The pastors I know are mostly traditional with some mixture of desire to be relevant. There are few who are seeking to be hip and cutting edge, a new kind of Christian. This is the world in which I live, pray, love my wife and look forward to visits with my family.

But I have been wondering for a long time what it means to be shaped by the Living presence of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, very ancient and unique words in this world. I don't want to go back to the fifties, though many of my friends dream of that. But I want to live with the wisdom of Christ Jesus rooted in the scriptures, ancient wisdom of the church fathers and mothers, the Reformers and Puritans. This is what this blog is about. We are all believers in some way. But I am betting my life that belief in the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit is the life that will not only sustain me but lead me into the epic purpose of real life. I am a human like you that is inviting you to share this adventure that I have been in for forty years. Join with me as I pray and share life with you openly and vulnerable to the hurt and disappointment we all face.
Blessings, PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment